My Mum's Ancient Family Bible

My Mum's Ancient Family Bible
Kept in the garage of all places for so many years, it's finally been put to good use.

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Fat Ass of the Land (Genesis 43-46)

I don't understand Joseph. I think he must have a touch of narcissism in him. He should just tell his brothers that he's their long-lost brother and not force them to go through the rigmarole of figuring it out for themselves.

Genesis 43 is a bit of a snooze. The brothers head back home unsure of what to do (you'll recall that Joseph had asked them to bring them their youngest brother - himself). Israel decides that they should return to him with tons of gifts, which is a very (negligent) Dad thing to do in a bad situation. My own father could always smooth things over with a new Jem doll. It was truly outrageous.  

Israel suggests a fine sack of balm, honey, gum, myrrh and nuts (Gum and Nuts - Together at Last!). These seem like shitty gifts to me, but I only really like getting gift cards to the Bay. So the brothers head back and are invited to lunch with Joseph. He makes a big show about asking about their father which I guess is supposed to tip them off. It doesn't. Joseph must be having an extra emotional week because he excuses himself in order to go cry in private. He then returns and says, "Let food be served," (Gen 43:31) like an abused housewife with perfectionist tendencies.

Joseph sends his brothers away (again). He plants a silver cup on one of them and then gets his steward to bring them back on the accusation of stealing. What the fuck. I can't believe Andrew Lloyd Webber made a musical based on this guy; he's a giant douche.

Eventually, it's too much to bear for Joseph and he finally reveals himself. He promises to take care of his family during the famine. The Pharaoh is on board for this and says they can have "the fat of the land" of Egypt (Gen 45:18). Now we know where that expression comes from. Joseph sends his brothers away (yes, again) to get their father. If it were me, I'd be pissed unless I had the equivalent of a Metropass and even then, I'd still be slightly pissed. The reunion makes Joseph cry more which is weird because he could have made this whole thing happen a lot sooner.

Genesis 46 ends on a lame cliffhanger: Joseph's family has moved to Egypt, only to find out that their livelihood as shepherds is an abomination there. More sitcom-y writing in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment