My Mum's Ancient Family Bible

My Mum's Ancient Family Bible
Kept in the garage of all places for so many years, it's finally been put to good use.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Playing Favourites (Genesis 25-27)

Man, I hope this process speeds up. I just realized I've only just passed the half-way point for the Book of Genesis. Maybe things will speed up when I hit Leviticus, which I hear is mostly crazy pronouncements anyways.

At the outset of chapter 25 of the Book of Genesis, Abraham decides to take a whole bunch of concubines in his old age. Good for him. He dies with a big smile on his face and is buried next to his dead wife Sarah.  I guess infidelity becomes a sin only after it gets inscribed on Moses' stone tablets.

Trouble is a-brewin' in Rebekkah's womb: "Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples, born of you, shall be divided; the one shall be stronger than the other, the elder shall serve the younger" (Gen 25:23). Uh-oh. Sounds like another case of sibling rivalry. We've seen that before. Two sons are born, Esau and Jacob (isn't sibling rivalry so much worse with girls?). Esau is the jock-type, a good hunter and is his father's favourite; Jacob is quiet, bookish and prefers to spend his time indoors (well, in tents) and is his mother's favourite. Apparently, only one of them can be blessed by their father to be ruler of their people. In old age, Isaac loses his sight and Rebekkah hatches a plan (always the women being mischevious) to fool him into giving the blessing to Jacob. Jacob is not convinced of this plan because he's pretty hairy and he's afraid Isaac will feel his chest rug or something like that and figure it out. While Esau is out hunting some savoury food for his old Dad, Jacob sneaks in and manages to fool him (although I would expect perhaps a deeper voice to go along with the hirsuteness...?). Needless to say, Esau is pissed and intends to kill Jacob, who flees. Rebekkah is greatly concerned that he'll wind up marrying one of those Hittite women while he's off on his own. I guess there's a bit of racism there. I hear there's plenty more of that to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment